19 July, 2004
phishing websites? Fake websites
A phishing website is where you are sent to page that looks like an official site, but the site really is just designed to steal personal data.
Today, I received one fake email said from eBay.com
Without a thought, I knew it was a fake and wanting to steal my data.
So I decided to investigate it.
The email asked me to click
The real website is rndsystems.co.kr with subdomain signin_ebay_com_account and using an unusual port number 7308. (the usual web pages use port 80)
Now, I am pretty sure it wanted to steal my credit card number, I decided to make a further investigation.
So I went to that URL (with port number 7308), exact link.
I decided to use a fake account, and BINGO, it works, as expected.
Let's see what's inside...
And as expected, asking me my credit card and even bank card number?
So, if I use my real eBay account information with real password (and all the information they asked for), it is not hard to figure out what would happen.
1. They will use my supplied password to change my password in eBay, and hence, as indicated in the email, "until we can verify your identify no further access to your account will be allowed".
2. you know what will happened to my credit card and even my bank accounts.
My recommendation about those worrying emails... check the raw format (source code OR view source), and look careful, you will see the actual problem.
My advice: Check the source of any questionable emails.
SillyDog701 Message Centre has a discussion on this issue.
Posted by Antony on 19 July 2004 9:54 PM |
more July 2004 blogs. (or 2004 blogs)
from iTunes Store:
disclaimerAntBlog701 is an Antony Shen personal weblog. This blog does not represent SillyDog701. This blog may represent Antony Shen's thoughts or things happened around him. You may not use any contents from this blog to accuse Antony Shen. Antony Shen makes no guarantee about the accuracy of this blog.
* SillyDog701 (front door) - main SillyDog701.
* Message Centre (forums)
* Netscape Browser Archive
* Browser Version Guide
* MacCentre701, Macintosh news and informaiton centre.
- features: H.264 and other codecs comparison
* MozInfo701, Mozilla information and resource centre.
* Switch, simple steps to switch to the browser you can trust.
* Communicator Tips, featured in dynamic HTML presentation.
Get a Blogging Platform built to Grow with Your Business. Download Movable Type Now!
AntBlog701 is proudly powered by
|Page URL: http://ant.sillydog.org/blog/2004/000293.php
[AntBlog701] [AntGallery701 (photos)] [AntTunes701 (music)]
[SillyDog701] [Netscape] [MozInfo701] [MacCentre701][Search] [Feedback] [About SillyDog701] [Sitemap]
Copyright © 2003 - 2015 Antony Shen. All rights reserved. Copyright Notice. Privacy Statement.